Federal Post-Convictions

Once you have been convicted in federal court, you have essentially four different paths you can take to obtain federal post-conviction relief:

If you are in need federal post-conviction representation, fill out our intake form. Questions? Contact us.

Four Paths to Relief

Your first option for challenging your federal conviction is to appeal your decision directly to the circuit court in which your federal district is located.

This is typically an inmate’s second attempt at finding relief after his or her direct appeal has failed.

Compassionate release is generally asked for when you’re not challenging the validity of the conviction but would like the court to consider a lesser punishment due to your medical condition and demonstrated rehabilitation while incarcerated, for example.

Most cases require a handwritten letter to the U.S. President (for Federal Convictions) or your state Governor (State Convictions) to get commute or pardon your sentence.